Thursday, March 15, 2012

To work or not to work?

So I have been out of commission for the past few weeks, but for a good reason. I have been offered a job as an editor for a startup company. It is certainly nice to have the offer, particularly in this economic climate, but now I am torn.

Cons:

-The job is not remotely in the field of law

-It pays a lot less than a law job would pay me

-Risks associated with work at a startup company (various)

Pros:

-I haven’t received any calls about law jobs, despite the resumes I have been sending around

-Some money is better than no money

-The job will allow me to work from home for a period of time

-(on a related note) The baby refuses to take a bottle right now, making the idea of daycare difficult

-This would fill the resume gap

Based on these considerations and conversations with my husband, I’m leaning towards accepting the job… My main misgiving is that by taking this non-law job, I am hurting my chances of getting a law-related job in the future. I know that many of my fellow graduates are still searching for jobs, so I’m definitely grateful to have a job opportunity at all.

Mostly, I wish that making adult decisions wasn’t so tricky. And that the job market was better. But mostly the thing about decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment